Wednesday, March 27, 2013

No way to say sorry

I'm doing this journal for Tuesday the 26th.  I choose this to be the day that I would go for a full day without talking at all because I wasn't working and only had one class. In class I fell asleep with ease which allowed me to not have to deal with not being able to talk.  After class though I was on my way home and decided I wanted a drink so I tried stopping at a drive through.  After pulling up to the drive through order speaker I realized I wasn't allowed to talk.  This made me feel pretty stupid and so I had to drive away without saying anything.  Because I couldn't get a drink I decided to go to kroger across the street.  After walking in I couldn't find the gatorade isle so I attempted to ask a worker where the isle was.  I quickly realized when he started signing to me that he was deaf.  He pointed to his ear and shook his head to show that he couldn't hear me.  I wasn't sure what to say or even try to communicate because I couldn't sign back, but I also could not say what I wanted too.  Since I couldn't sign I made a drinking hand gesture and so he started signing back to me again.  It was really frustrating and I really wanted to apologize and walk away.  But I wanted to apologize not for wasting his time, but that this is an issue that he deals with on a daily basis.  I couldn't though.  I couldn't express my thoughts and got frustrated and left.  Driving back home I forgot the drink and went straight home.  I couldn't stop thinking about how I couldn't even communicate the simple thought of sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment